The Dreamwidth conference this year will be Open Source Bridge
, June 23–26 in Portland, OR. See my previous post
for all the reasons you -- yes, you! -- want to attend!
This offer is open to anyone who's submitted 5 or more pull requests (big, small, or anything in between) since 1 January. (See me if you want to talk comparable volunteer work that doesn't go through Github, or if you want to make a case for "I only had one PR but it was a ton of effort".) We will pay for you up front, no "you front the money and we'll reimburse you". This offer includes:
* Your conference admission (which includes lunch)
* Your housing in Portland (either in a hotel room or a rental house, depending on how many people we have -- usually it's been hotel rooms with two double beds, each person getting their own bed but sharing the room with one other person). Housing will be provided for the nights of June 22 through June 26 (so, arrive Monday June 22, depart Saturday, June 27).
* Your airfare, round trip from your home airport to PDX (yes, this includes from outside the US!) If you'd like to extend your stay in Portland past when accomodations will be covered, we can do that: just tell me when you'd like to arrive/depart, and pay the difference in airfare costs if greater than $50.
* At least one group dinner during the trip. (And usually others, on the principle of "whoever's around when the person with the DW credit card is deciding on dinner usually gets invited along", but we usually do one planned "okay, everyone's going to eat here tonight" thing.)
(NB: Generally speaking, we find that on these trips people spend between $200-$300 on other travel costs (meals that aren't covered by DW, tickets for the light rail to/from the airport, etc). If you'd like to come but that cost would be a hardship for you, come talk to me privately.)
This offer will be limited to the first 15 people who sign up.
To sign up, comment here with:
* Links to your qualifying PRs (email me if you want to make a case for comparable volunteer effort/substituting a large PR for small ones)
* The airport you'd like to fly out of, and whether you have an airline preference (ie, I only fly Oneworld carriers because I've got status with them)
* Travel dates, if not "arrive 22 June, depart 27 June"
* Any access needs or accomodations I need to take into account for arranging housing (ie, mine would be "I'm fine in a hotel room but if we rent a house I'd need a ground floor bedroom" -- you don't need to tell me why, just what I need to take into consideration).
If you're uncomfortable with disclosing any of the above publicly, that's totally fine! Just comment here with something along the lines of "I'm taking you up on this and will email privately with my details". (The comment is important to have the list of people all in one place; I am a Bear of Very Little Brain sometimes.)
Using the info provided of your preferred airport to fly out of, I'll find you flights and email you for your approval and to get the TSA-required data for booking (that being the name, date of birth, and gender marker that appears on your approved ID, plus passport number for people coming from outside the US) plus any airline frequent flyer numbers, yadda. Once we've got flights that you're cool with, I'll do the actual booking on your behalf, so you don't have to front the money. (I will book on your preferred carrier whenever possible, and aim for the best combination of price/travel duration/travel times I can find. That sort of thing speaks to my min/max gamer heart.)
The deadline for taking us up on this is June 1. (After that point, we'll still register you for the conference, but you'll have to arrange your own travel and housing.)